THINK YOU KNOW IP?
Test your intellectual property knowledge with the trivia questions below.
In what U.S. city was the first work registered under federal law?
A schoolmaster registered the Philadelphia Spelling Book in 1790.
Going from least to greatest, put the following companies in order based on the number of utility patents issued to them in 2021.
A. Salesforce.com, Inc.
B. Johnson & Johnson
C. Texas Instruments Incorporated
D. 3M Company
E. Fujifilm Holdings Corp.
#1 — D. 3M Company – 581
#2 — A. Salesforce.com, Inc. – 594
#3 — C. Texas Instruments Incorporated – 972
#4 — E. Fujifilm Holdings Corp. – 1,421
#5 — B. Johnson & Johnson – 1,506
True or False
- A sound (not just music melody or lyrics) can be trademarked.
- “Onesie” is a trademark held by Carter’s.
- “Baggie” is a trademark held by Ziploc.
- Mark Zuckerberg holds a trademark for the word “face”.
- Michael Jackson used to own the rights to the “Happy Birthday” song.
- True (Examples include Darth Vader’s breathing and that famous Law & Order sound.)
- False (but close, it is a trademark held by Gerber Childrenswear.)
- False (it’s actually owned by a subsidiary of the makers of Reynolds Wrap.)
- True (See a full list of Meta’s trademarks)
- False (More about Happy Birthday)
Bonus Patent Points
- What car manufacturer had the most utility patents issued in 2021?
- What company is known as the “Patent King”?
- Toyota Jidosha K.K. — 2,753
- International Business Machines Corporation — 8,540 patents issued in 2021
Who owns these trademarked phrases?
- “You cannot be serious.”
- “That’s hot.”
- “This sick beat”
- “Flavor town”
Match the company or product to its trademark color:
E. 3M Post-it Notes